Monday, January 24, 2011

English Roast Recipe

I couldn't get my birdhouse project with the boys to download so I'm just going to write about dinner.
Whenever roast is on sale I buy it because I can get at least 3 meals out of it.
Prep: First I choose an oil with a high "smoke point" like canola oil. A "smoke point" is literally how much heat an oil can take before it starts smoking. Once an oil starts smoking you can't use it - you have to discard it and start over. This is because of the free radicals it releases in the actual oil. Not to mention the carcinogens released into the air.
Anyway, I want to get the oil hot to get a good crust on the meat so I warm up the oil in a big ol' chili pot (because I cook this stovetop). I rub sea salt and pepper on the meat and start searing. I don't sear to "seal in the juices;" I love the flavor it gives the meat when slow cooked.
On my last side of searing I start pouring water into the pan and fill it so the meat is half way covered in water. I add about 4 cloves of garlic roughly chopped, 1 onion cut in big chunks and 1/2 tablespoon of peppercorns. I cook it on low for about 3-4 hours depending on how big the roast is.
When cooked, I take the meat out and strain the broth into a clear bowl so the broth and fat divide. Whatever I'm making with it - potatoes, noodles, rice, etc. I add broth to the water I'm cooking it in. I'm big fan of flavoring oil or water to enhance the flavor of my meal.
Tonight I boiled potatoes in water and added about a cup of broth to it to flavor the potatoes. I made homemade gravy and for my liquid use 3/4 broth and 1/4 milk. Then I freeze whatever broth I have leftover because to me NOTHING compares to homemade broth in recipes.
I make the roast plain so I can use it for other recipes the next day like, beef fried rice, BBQ beef, beef tacos, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment