Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Recipes when you are snowed in

Most families are snowed in today so here is a practical recipe until the roads get better or plowed.

Homemade buttermilk pancakes:
Pancakes are one of my favorite meals to cook because you not only have these simple ingredients sitting in your baking cabinet but, you also can hide nutritious ingredients in them and kiddos still eat them.
For example you can throw in a hearty flour such as oat or organic whole wheat. You can use half all-purpose flour and half almond meal (which I find at trader joe's). I have pancake recipes that have sweet potatoes in them, yogurt, walnuts, flaxseed meal, etc. You can also take a basic pancake recipe and ingredients to the batter. Some common additions are chocolate chips, blueberries or a mashed-up banana. But what about some chopped apple and bacon? Or pumpkin puree and chocolate chips?

I made this dish today for four reasons. One, I want to stretch out my regular milk and this recipe calls for buttermilk - which is a staple in this house. Two, the kids love french toast but I want to stretch out my bread supply. Three, I will have a couple of pancakes leftover that I can store in a ziplock bag and stick in the fridge for Jaxon's breakfast tomorrow. Four, the kids can help me make this which will make them feel good.
The recipe below is from the Foodnetwork Magazine.
Dry ingreds:
1 1/2 c flour
3 TBLSP sugar
1 teasp baking powder
1/2 teasp each baking soda and salt
Wet ingreds:
1 1/4 c buttermilk
1/2 stick butter, melted
2 eggs
1/2 teasp vanilla
Combine dry and wet ingredients with wisk - just until combined.

You can top with maple syrup (or heat maple syrup in a small sauce pan and add apples/cinnamon, frozen blueberries, etc to flavor your syrup), organic blue agave nector, fresh fruit/whip cream or my favorite the mango dessert sauce from dove chocolate discoveries TM.

No comments:

Post a Comment