Sunday, October 23, 2011

baking eggs

I really like to bake eggs - ramkins, casserole you name it. My husband will try it and say, it tastes just like you cooked them on the stove but the difference for me is time. While the eggs are baking I can prepare side dishes and everything is served hot. *remember that eggs need to rest just like any other protein you cook. To avoid dried or overcooked eggs I take out the eggs 2-3 min before my timer goes off. While resting, the eggs will continue to cook.

Baked Eggs in Ramkins
Heat oven to 350
Grease/butter ramkins
Start by thinking of your favorite combos with eggs. My husband for example likes basic ingredients. For him, I added 1 TEASP of diced onion (or chives), 1/2 TEASP fresh parsley chopped, 1/2 slice of bacon cooked and crumbled, 1/2 TEASP green pepper diced. I cracked the egg over the veggies, added 1/2 TBSP of cream, then topped with cheese and sprinkled with S&P.
My hubby likes his eggs cooked over easy so depending on how hot your oven is, I would cook this between 12 and 18 min.

For myself I would cook some spinach with EVOO, garlic and onion - about 2 min. I would add ham, proscuitto or cooked bacon to my buttered ramkin. Then top with a little spinach and feta. Crack the egg over this and again pour 1/2 TBSP of cream over egg. S&P I like my eggs over hard so I would bake this between 15 and 18 min.




You can make a large version of this in a casserole dish if you are entertaining. It's something different and looks amazing.



Egg N Ham pie
Spiral ham was on sale this week so we ate it for dinner and of course had leftovers.
Ingreds:
  • 1 refrigerated pie crust (any ready-made crust)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1/3 c milk
  • 1/4 c diced onions
  • 1/4 c diced green peppers
  • 1/2 c diced ham
  • 1/4 c shredded colby jack cheese
Whisk the eggs and milk. Pour into crust. Evenly sprinkle rest of ingreds into egg mixture. Bake depending on internal oven temp between 15 and 20 min.


No comments:

Post a Comment