Tuesday, July 12, 2011

fruit and veggie chart

I have been wanting to make some sort of chart for fruits and vegetables for some time. I knew it would be time consuming to make so I kept putting it off.
When the boys got their hair cut a few months ago it was SO bittersweet for me because they looked like such big boys. I must have looked quite sad because the hair dresser handed me a BUNCH of samples that were Scotch re-stickable squares in an attempt to cheer me up. It totally worked. I love free samples.
I took it as a sign that I needed to create the chart.
  • First, I drew all of the fruits and vegetables.
  • And they sat and sat on my dresser. Until Joy was over and offered to cut out them out for me while Isla slept on her. woohoo!
  • The pile sat again.
  • My sister in law, Abby, was over and I asked her to cut the pre-cut Scotch squares into fours. Then I was able to stick all of the fruit and veggie shapes to the chart and hang both charts.
  • I used double sided-tape once because I couldn't find the re-stickable squares it doesn't work well. It's a huge pain
The boys love this anatomy book my neighbor gave them so my plan was draw a stomach on poster board. Could NOT draw it. It kept looking like a weird rectangle. I'm not an artist by any means but I really thought I could draw a stomach for cryin out loud. I drew a circle and labeled each chart "Mason's Tummy", etc. I wanted them to see how many fruits, veggies and glasses of water ( I added it last minute) they put into their tummy each day.
I was not sure how successful it would be but it's going really well. Both boys actually try new fruits and veggies just so they can update their chart.
I don't have a difficut time getting Mason or Jaxon to eat adequate servings of fruits and veggies each day or try new things to eat. But Brant wouldn't even snif a vegtable. He was always great at eating fruit but since having the chart he has tried new fruits and veggies.
WARNING: THESE PICS MAY OFFEND THOSE WHO CAN ACTUALLY DRAW

No comments:

Post a Comment