Thursday, July 21, 2011

Homemade key chains for Daddy

Disney's Family Fun Magazine had a charm craft article in the May 2011 edition. I thought this would be perfect for gifts - especially for Adam's birthday.

I went to JoAnne Fabrics and bought a Shrinky Dink Kit. It was $4.99 but I had a 50% coupon so I literally paid $2.50. The kit came with six blank sheets, colored pencils, a hole puncher, patterns, etc. more than enough supplies for numerous gifts!

I had the boys write out the word DAD, draw his face, whatever they wanted. Then I took the supplied patterns and cut out a shape appropriate for a keychain. I hole punched it and stuck it in the oven for seriously ONE MINUTE (follow the kit's directions). I let it cool and then strung the charms onto a ball-chain key ring.

This was by far my favorite project to date. It's quick, affordable and adorable. I heard so many "oooooo's" and "awwwwww's" with this one.
The warm smile on Adam's face when he saw the keychains said it all. Now I am getting requests from aunts and of course Grandma Nancy for one.

I'm excited to create more with the boys and this time I will buy a leather cord, few beads, etc. to make necklaces for aunts and grandmas. I will post the pictures ASAP.

These make great sentimental gifts for family but also for an end-of-year gift for a preschool teacher, a get-well-soon gift for a fellow classmate, a thank you gift...possibilities are endless.



No comments:

Post a Comment