Saturday, November 17, 2012

Caramel Apple Sweet Potato Pancakes

I was experimenting in my kitchen and was thinking this would make a good breakfast the morning after Thanksgiving. I usually have leftover canned pumpkin or mashed potatoes (just mash the sweet potatoes so they are on the creamy side - not so much thick and chunky for this recipe). The picture of the apple below shows a Gala apple but I HIGHLY recommend using a Granny Smith apple.


Dry ingreds:
1 1/2 c flour
3 TBLSP sugar
1 teasp baking powder
1/2 teasp each baking soda and salt
Wet ingreds:
1 c buttermilk
1/4c-1/2 c mashed sweet potato (you can also use canned pumpkin)*
1/2 stick butter, melted
2 eggs
1/2 teasp vanilla
Combine dry and wet ingredients with wisk - just until combined.

*Start with a 1/4c see how your batter looks if its not too thick then add a little more but I wouldn't add more than 1/2c.

You can always use a box pancake mix and just add the pumpkin or mashed sweet potatoes. 


Get your pan nice and hot and warm up some butter on it. Then place your apple circle on top of the bubbly butter for a minute or two.



Pour your batter over the apple slice.


I served this with my favorite caramel ice cream topping and sprinkled with chopped, toasted pecans. 


No comments:

Post a Comment