Thursday, May 26, 2011

Favorite Pasta Salad recipe

The Cuisine at Home Magazine did a Latin-inspired menu (June 2009) and I LOVE every dish. The southwestern pasta salad has become a staple in the Maley house. Full of fresh veggies and herbs and the two-second dressing it requires, its a must-try!!
I made this after I returned from the Produce Depot today. Mason sat on the counter next to the bowl the whole time to watch me cook. It was so sweet hearing him randomly talk and ask me questions about all of the vegetables, etc. It reminded me of when I used to stand on the toilet in the bathroom to watch my mother put on her make up before work. I must have been in third or fourth grade...it wasn't like last year or anything. Ok maybe it was.

Ingreds:
  • 1 lb dry pasta rotini or farfalle
  • 1lb frozen corn (I normally don't care for corn in recipes but I love it in this one)
  • 1 3.8oz can sliced olives (again not a big fan of olives but love them in this salad)
  • 2 red bell peppers diced (I use whatever I have but if I can use a red pepper and yellow pepper and then like 1/4c green pepper.)
  • 1.5 c green onions (again I use what I have on hand. My fav combo in this dish is green onions, chives and red onion)
  • 3 TBSP chopped garlic
  • 2/3c olive oil
  • 1/3 c fresh squeezed lime juice (I don't use this much. I juice two limes and if I need more after the dish is made I add it.)
  • 1-2TBSP white vinegar (I find this is essential for any Latin recipe. I add white vinegar to salsa, a dry rub to make a paste to rub on a pork shoulder, etc.)
  • 1TBSP fresh chopped oregano or 2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp each of cumin and coriander
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 2 avocados diced
Prepare pasta according to box. Drain. Toss with corn, olives, peppers, onions and garlic.
Whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, vinegar, and spices. Pour over bowl and toss. Stir in avacados before serving.
This dish is best if made the day before serving - the flavors all marinated together are amazing. I love the lime and oregano in the dressing. For me I find the lime helps keep the avocado from turning discolored.

No comments:

Post a Comment