Sunday, January 29, 2012

Chicken enchiladas

When in need of a go-to comfort food meal - my enchiladas are sure to please. I serve it with avocado and spicey black beans.

Here is the recipe:

1 pack of flour torillas (I like the smallest ones)
Filling:
1 lb of chicken (use any pieces you want. I just buy a whole roasted chicken and shred it)
1 med onion diced
2 green onions chopped
1 garlic clove minced
1/4c chopped fresh flat leaf parsley or cilantro
1/2 can of rotel tomatoes and chiles (I squeeze the juice out of the 4oz over the can. Then use the remaining juice/tomatoes to either add it to rice or black beans for a side dish)
1/2 teasp cumin
S&P just a pinch
pinch of red pepper flakes (heat is up to you)
8oz shredded cheese (your fav kind. I use colby jack) Divided.
1/2c of pepper jack cheese
Sauce:
4 oz can of green chiles
1 c sour cream
1/4c flour (I use Wondra to make my roux but you don't have to)
4 TBSP butter
2c chicken broth

Preheat oven to 350.
In a skillet with a little grapeseed oil (or whatever oil you prefer) I cook the onion, green onion and garlic. I cook the veggies for just a few minutes and then add my shredded chicken to the skillet to incorporate the flavors into the chicken. Once warm and combined I pour into a bowl.

I combine the chicken mixture with remaining "filling" ingredients. I use all of the pepper jack cheese and about 1/2c of the colby jack (or whatever cheese you are using). Stuff filling into torillas. I like mine stuffed to the point of almost breaking the torilla. Place torillas in a 9x13 pan (greased) seam side down.

Start the roux for the sauce. Melt butter in a pan, add flour and whisk until bubbly (just a minute or two ). You don't want to burn it but you want the flour taste to cook off. Whisk in your broth. I pour it in a batches but you don't have to. When its to the desired thickness remove from heat. Stir in the sour cream and chiles.
Pour sauce over stuffed torillas and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for about 20-25 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment