Friday, January 27, 2012

Valentines Day cake

One day grocery shopping Mason picked out one of those pink box cakes. He doesn't ask for much so I bought it for him. A few days later we made it - I enjoy very few box cakes and this one was no different. YUCK! But I wanted to make the best of it.

I made a few cupcakes for the boys and then poured the remaining batter in a small sheet pan (with a lip). I like making cakes in this pan because it cooks quickly and I can serve a three layer cake.

I took out some strawberries out of my freezer (I had bought them over the summer at a strawberry festival) and prepared to make a quick frosting. BUT I had no cream cheese. I did find an 8oz container of Mascarpone cheese. Yes way more fattening than cream cheese but I had to get the frosting made. I used half the container. I beat it with some powdered sugar, just a few tablespoons, and then I added a teaspoon of vanilla. Then added an 8oz container of thawed cool whip and continued beating.

My cake cooked in less than 15 minutes. I cut it thirds and layered the frosting and strawberries (had to squeeze some juice out so I wouldn't soak the cake).

The frosting and amazing strawberries masked the "box cake" taste and ended up tasting delish!

If you have shooter glasses that would be great for presentation for Valentines Day. Below is a picture of the cake shooters I made for Christmas but you get the idea. Layer the glass with pink cake, red strawberries and white frosting - great Valentine treat!



No comments:

Post a Comment