Saturday, December 29, 2012

Cork board Chore Chart

At the request of my children I have been looking into different chore charts. I just couldn't figure out what was best for us: paper chart with star stickers (which is what the kids want but I despise), jars with gumballs/change/whatever to get there attention, magnetic charts for the fridge....GAH!!!

What to do, what to do.

I wanted something cheap because if pieces got lost or something I would be irritated. I needed to be able to customize it but it also needed to grow with us (what they are strong in this month may not be the case next month).

So I thought a corkboard will do - it was on sale at Target for about $7. I bought brightly colored pins for just under $2. I can tack up whatever I need them to do - try new foods, pick up toys, toothbrush clean up, homework, etc. and then use the pins as a way to keep track. It's not a huge eye sore and as they get older the corkboard can serve different purposes. I remember my one friend from grade school used to have to check the corkboard when she got home from school. It was a central place where her parents would leave a list of chores, important messages, etc.

I look at it and want the squares to be perfect and blah, blah but it can't be perfect. The reality is little hands will be all over that thing and pins will be lost, squares will get torn, etc. I have to remember that the purpose of the chart is to teach them accountability not look pretty in my kitchen.

I will keep you posted on how it works for our household. Got a system that work for your family? I would love to hear it!


No comments:

Post a Comment